Asylum in Finland
If you are being persecuted in your country, you may be eligible for international protection in Finland. Most asylum seekers in Finland are also entitled to free legal aid. This means that a lawyer can assist the asylum seeker in his/her application for international protection.
In short, the process for applying for refugee status in Finland generally goes as follows:
- The applicant informs the police of his intention of seeking international protection in Finland
- The police arrange a short interview for the applicant regarding his application
- The Immigration Service conducts a longer interview regarding the applicant’s reasons for seeking international protection
- A refugee status is granted or denied by the Immigration Service
- If refugee status is denied, the applicant may submit an appeal to an administrative court through his lawyer